Historically, the Langis Mine produced over 10.4 Moz Ag with a recovered grade of approximately 25 oz/t from shallow depths, and 358,340 lbs of cobalt and the Hudson Bay Mine produced 6.4 Moz Ag at 123 oz/t, and 185,570 lbs of cobalt from 58,000 tons.
Currently, both the Langis and Hudson Bay Projects do not have any mineral resources or mineral reserves. The Langis Mine operated from 1908 to 1989 and was subsequently closed in 1990 due to a significant drop in silver prices to $5 per ounce (oz) of silver (Ag). The Langis Mine boasted impressive silver-cobalt recoveries, ranging from 88% to 98%, with assays showing values of up to 18% silver (Ag) and 16% cobalt. The Langis Mine features over 10 kilometers of underground workings, but these historic workings are currently flooded.
Silver was discovered at Cobalt in 1903 during the construction of the Timiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway from North Bay to develop the agricultural land in the New Liskeard area. Fred LaRose, a blacksmith employed in the construction of the railway, is credited with the first discovery, but the first application for claims, filed on August 13, 1903, was made by J.H. McKinley and E.F. Darragh, subcontractors who supplied ties for the railroad.
They found silver-bearing float at the south end of Cobalt Lake. The first assay results showed bismuth but no silver. McKinley subsequently sent the ore for assay to McGill University and was informed by Dr. Milton Hersey of Montreal that the ore contained 4,000 ounces of silver per ton. Dr. Willet G. Miller, Ontario’s first provincial geologist, visited the area in November 1903 and found that four veins had been located, three very rich in silver. In addition, Tom Hebert had staked the property that later became the Nipissing Mine. Dr. Miller reported the news through an article in the Mining Journal of New York and through an Ontario Bureau of Mines publication. The final discovery in 1903 was made by Neil King who staked the property on which the O’Brien mine was to rise in 1906 and to continue production without a break until 1966 (Zoldy 2006).